Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tachat Kanfei Ha'Shechina--Under the Wings of Heaven


By Michael Hirsch

I have hesitated to begin writing this, as I get extremely emotional just thinking about it. But it’s important enough, I believe, to steel my backbone & try.
On the Fast of Tisha B’Av during the Second Lebanon War, Jane & I delivered a carful of food packages to Israeli soldiers with a tank corps, parked on the side of the road north of Metullah (minutes from the Lebanese border). To this day, the images are burnt into my memory—the look of astonishment on their faces as they saw us approach, the broad smiles on their faces as we opened the cargo area of our van & they saw what we had brought them, the most sincere handshakes & hugs I had ever received in my life.
Over breakfast at home the next morning, I read in the newspaper that one-half hour after we left the soldiers, that section of road was the recipient of a fusillade of Katyusha rockets launched by Hezbollah in Lebanon (none of the soldiers were injured or killed, Thank G-D).
Earlier today, at 11:30 AM Israel Time, Jane & I headed home from Mitzpe Ramon, where we spent a lovely overnight in a new hotel—Beresheet. Approximately one-half hour later, some miles away, terrorists, who had crossed the Egyptian border, strafed a bus carrying soldiers + a private car. Many, many injured (none dead, as I write).
I am welling up, but will try to finish.
I look at these two events & wonder how anybody with any degree of intelligence can imagine that G-D Almighty is not involved with each and every one of us on a second-by-second basis?!?!
In the morning & evening prayers (& at bedtime), we recite the Shema (“Hear O Israel”), which includes the phrase: “And you shall love the Lord, your G-d, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your might.”
After these two incidents of hashgacha pra’tit (individual attention from G-D), may Jane & I only be worthy to truly love G-D with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our might!!!
I have to stop now,
Michael

No comments: