Friday, November 27, 2015

Save me from my Brother, Esav

A Torah Thought for Parashat Vayishlach
By Moshe Feiglin

I am not worthy of all the mercies, and of all the truth, which You have shown unto Your servant; for with my staff I passed over this Jordan; and now I am become two camps. Deliver me, I pray to You, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau; for I fear him, lest he come and smite me, the mother with the children. (From this week’s Torah portion, Vayishlach, Genesis 32:11-12)

Save me from my brother…

Esav is much more dangerous than Yishmael. Esav is cultured. He speaks in soft tones. Esav knows how to talk the talk.

Save me from Europe and America, who look like my brothers but who always – always – turn around at the last moment to smite me, mothers and children.

Save me from the culture of Germany.

Save me from the passive cooperation of those who did not bomb the railroad tracks to Auschwitz.

Save me from those who sent the St. Louis, crammed with 900 Jewish refugees from the coast of Florida straight into the tentacles of the Nazis.

Save me from Esav, who wanted to conceal information on my planned destruction from me – and then buried my brother, Jonathan in prison for 30 years for revealing the information.

Save me from the Esav who is now fostering nuclear weapons for Yishmael.

Save me from Esav, masquerading as a man of ethics, who is preventing me from defending myself from Yishmael.

Save me from my brother, from Esav.

I will manage on my own with Yishmael.

Shabbat Shalom.

No comments: