Friday, March 15, 2019

Yediot Aharonot: The Feiglin Phenomenon in my Neighborhood


Yediot Reporter Gil Ribo went to hear Feiglin in Ra’anana, and was astonished to find his son there.

The last time that we met was six years ago. It was in Karnei Shomron, when I was sent to check out what stood behind the puzzling identity of one of the most fascinating politicians in the political arena. A man who is a mixture. Almost an extremist and a real liberal.

Last night, he came to speak in my home town of Ra’anana. I try to imagine who will attend the event. I was sent by the newspaper to find out. The crowd (more than 100 people) sat on plastic chairs or stood in the entrance. As I try to make my way toward a seatbetween all the people, I see my eldest son with his ‘cool’ friends. He is very politically aware and will soon be able to vote. He was there of his own free will.

And then Feiglin entered. He was very to the point. He went to the center of the hall and simply started talking, from the middle, the simplest and most connecting place. “We can leave the race,” he joked, “we have already accomplished something.” Then he immediately explained that “When the Likud adopts the voucher method and is willing to re-examine legalization of cannabis, we have already made an impact.”The diverse crowd makes him happy. The majority is secular. Feiglin says that as opposed to the two major blocs who say exactly the same thing, ZEHUT has something else to say: “A free state, one state for one nation.” He says that ZEHUT is a “political Chabad House.”My son’s friends explain to me that “Feiglin is the height ofthe trend. Something like Neta Barzilai at last year’s Eurovision. A unique, special unicorn. Spectacularly authentic. A man whose platform interests him more than playing politics. A person who knows how to speak his platform.”Feiglin speaks to them and his voters in modern language, calling for a “reset of the old concepts”. He explains that “this rickety concept cabinet is imploding. The drawers are getting stuck on each other.” When I ask him if there is room for Arabs in his concept cabinet, he answers: “You would be surprised. The Arabs have to know that you know who you are, in order to feel safe.

”Really?

Yes, not long ago, an Arab MK said to me, “I don’t care what you want, from the Nile to the Euphrates. We know that the Koran says that the Land of Israel is yours. I can manage with you. But never with the Zionists. They are not Jews. They are European colonialists for whom I am transparent.” Once I asked a Druze MK if it doesn’t bother him that my nephew comes from Australia and immediately becomes a citizen, while that would not be possible for his nephew. He told me it doesn’t bother him. He knows that only in a Jewish state will he enjoy his freedom.

My son has already made his choice. Now it is your turn.

No comments: