Thursday, February 02, 2023

The Sweet Fruits of the Land - Among the Signs of Redemption

by HaRav Dov Begon
Rosh HaYeshiva, Machon Meir 

Regarding the well-known question of what sign there will be of Israel’s redemption, Rebbe Abba answers that we have no clearer sign than that of Yechezkeil 36:8: “But you, O mountains of Israel, shall shoot forth your branches and yield your fruit to My people Israel; for they will soon be coming.” Rashi explains: “When Eretz Yisrael yields its fruit bountifully, the end will be near, and we have no clearer sign of redemption” (Sanhedrin 98).

In Shlomo HaMelech's day as well, when Eretz Yisrael achieved one of its most bountiful periods, Shlomo HaMelech said, “I planted vineyards, I made gardens and orchards, and I planted trees in them of all kinds of fruits” (Kohelet 2:4-5).

Almost all the fruits of the world are found in Eretz Yisrael because Eretz Yisrael has all the types of soil: “Out of Zion, the perfection [michlal] of beauty” (Tehilim 50:2). All beauty is included [kalul] in it.

As of now, the custom has taken root that many Jews eat the fruits of Eretz Yisrael on Tu B'Shvat. By doing so, we demonstrate our love and affection for the Land, thereby effecting a great spiritual improvement in the world. When we taste the enormous assortment of fruits that grow in our land, there is almost no fruit on earth that cannot be found here, as in the days of Shlomo HaMelech. We must show our gratitude to G-d, who is renewing our days as of old, for the fact that Eretz Yisrael is yielding its fruit bountifully to the People of Israel. Following two thousand years of exile, they are now gathering together in their millions. How fortunate we are and how good is our lot, that we are privileged to see all of this with our own eyes! The day is not far off when the continuation of the prophecy in Yechezkeil 36 will be fulfilled as well, “I will gather you out of all the countries, and will bring you into your land... Then I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and you shall be clean... A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you... I will put My spirit within you... You shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers, and you shall be My people, and I will be your G-d” (verses 24-28).

Looking forward to salvation,
With the Love of Israel,
Tu B'Shvat Sameach,
Shabbat Shalom.

No comments: