Friday, July 26, 2024

Igrot Hare’aya – Letters of Rav Kook: An Eiruv for Nascent Tel Aviv and Approbation Rather than Hashgacha

An Eiruv for Nascent Tel Aviv -#242 

Date and Place: 9 Kislev 5670 (1909), Yafo

Recipient: The homeowners of “Achuzat Bayit,” the brand new suburb of Yafo, which became the beginning of Tel Aviv.

Body: It will be for me a pleasant obligation to awaken your dear spirits to take part in the mitzva of erecting an eiruv in your dear moshav, which we are joyously looking forward to see built, adorned and equipped with all good things.

The erection of an eiruv is positive for two reasons: A. It will prevent the outbreak of a wave of desecration of Shabbat from spreading in your respected, beloved moshav. Besides the inherent holy cause that is included in this, it also impacts the general honor of the moshav. B. It is a great improvement regarding all the needs of life on the holy day in a community that is made up of our Jewish brethren. This reduces dependency on non-Jews.

The expense of building a high-quality, strong eiruv in part of the moshav is, by a good estimation, 32 Napoleonic gold coins. Of this, the general assembly of the city (Yafo) will provide 16 coins, through the efforts of Betzalel Lopian. Concerning the second half, 16 Napoleonic gold coins, I beseech of you, respected people, that you will take part, to provide you both spiritual and material benefit, as shall be an honor for such beloved people.

Approbation Rather than Hashgacha #244 

Date and Place
: 11 Kislev 5670 (1909), Yafo

Recipient: Mr. Lupo, the head administrator of Mikveh Yisrael (one of the first agricultural settlements, located on the outskirts of present-day Holon).

Body: I received your very respected letter, and I am responding with my thanks to your honor, for completing the steps needed to take off tithes [from the produce] as the Torah requires.

Regarding the kashrut accreditation for the wine, I ask your forgiveness that I cannot write a certificate, which I can do only when something is done under my supervision. Last year, I only attested to the signatures of the rabbis who give the certification. I will not hold this back now, as well. However, how can I give my certificate of kashrut, which indicates my specific knowledge in the matter? The following is always the practice. The rabbi who actually supervises the product gives his certificate, and those who need to affirm matters externally assert to the veracity of his signature.

I hope that, in the future as well, you will not cease to fulfill your religious obligations regarding the fruit of Mikveh Yisrael and all its produce. I await your respected response.

No comments: