Thursday, December 14, 2017

On Rav Shteinman, zt"l

by Moshe Feiglin

Rav Aharon Shteinmann zt"l's funeral left me stuck in traffic jams for two hours. But I am not complaining. I salute the Ultra-Orthodox community for their appreciation for leadership, their respect for their leaders and the way they honor the elderly.

Waze took me around and around with no end in sight and then, under an unfamiliar bridge, the broadcaster on the radio began quoting parts of Rav Shteinmann’s will. He requested not to be called a tzaddik, not to be eulogized, not to name children after him and said that not more than ten people need to attend his funeral…On the radio they also described the Rav's simple living conditions in Bnei Barak.

In a generation whose leaders have exchanged vision for hedonism, one of the sectors of Israeli society enjoys leadership that lives with the opposite codes. I am sorry that many of us, including me, noticed this only at his funeral. ת.נ.צ.ב.ה.

No comments: