Thursday, December 19, 2013

Why was I the Only Coalition MK to Vote in Favor of the Jerusalem Bill?

By Moshe Feiglin


The seats of the Likud and Jewish Home MKs remained empty. The Jerusalem Bill, proposed by MK Litzman of the Agudat Yisrael party, called for at least 80 MKs to give prior approval to any negotiations that would result in relinquishing portions of Jerusalem to a foreign entity. The vote was held by roll call. I knew perfectly well that Litzman proposed the bill in order to embarrass the Coalition. Nonetheless, it was clear to me that I must support this bill.


I found myself in the same situation this time as with the vote on the Prawer Plan to regulate Bedouin settlement in the Negev and on the vote on the State budget just before the first terrorist release. In both cases, I did what was right and voted against the proposed bills – alone.
Political wisdom is to know where to draw the line between conscience and politics. If an MK cannot vote in favor of the Jerusalem Bill because of coalition considerations, he has done his part to put Jerusalem on the chopping block.

No comments: