Thursday, January 19, 2012

We are all Part of the Divine Master Plan

By Moshe Feiglin

"And G-d spoke to Moses and He said to him, 'I am G-d.' (From this week's Torah portion, Va'eirah, Exodus 6:2-3)

In the space of just five verses at the beginning of the Torah portion of Va'eirah, G –d says, "I am G-d" four times. Moses knew who G-d was; why the repetition?

The Jews in Egypt had been enslaved for generations. Who could even remember the stories about the Forefathers? And if some brave mother did devote a few minutes to teach her child his heritage, who could have possibly taken it seriously? Who could have thought that from within the horrifying reality in Egypt, this collection of human dust would become a free nation that would defeat the ruling empire of the world and enter the Promised Land to become G-d's nation – harbingers of His message of world liberty? What message could those bags of bones possibly bear?

But G-d rules the world; not Pharaoh. G-d's memory is not short. What are 200 or 2000 years for the maestro of history? And despite the fact that all that interests this Jewish slave is just a moment of rest; a drop of water on his dry tongue, a safe place to hide his baby son – the Creator has different – great – plans for him: "And I took you out, and I saved you, and I redeemed you and I took you." Why? So that I will be your G-d and I will bring you to the Land that I promised to your Forefathers.

You may have narrow horizons; you no longer even dare to want anything more than mere survival. It does not matter. You are part of a Divine Master plan. You will be My Nation and you will make Me King over the entire world.

Some of the Jews in Egypt did not believe. Today, as well, there are those who do not believe. But whether we like it or not, we will perfect the world and make it the dwelling place of G-d.

Shabbat Shalom.

No comments: