Friday, January 26, 2024

Igrot Hare’aya – Letters of Rav Kook: Work on Religious Papers

#185

Date and Place: 11 Shevat 5669 (1909), Yafo

Recipient: Rav Yonason Binyamin Horowitz. We have seen some letters between Rav Kook and this rabbinic administrator (for Agudas Yisroel) of funds for various projects in the Old and New Yishuv.

Body: May Hashem see to it that there will be agreement on the terms of the rent, so that we can start the critical work for saving the moshava and shining the light of Hashem in its midst. (I am unaware of what project, in which moshava, Rav Kook referred to.) Many great things will come out of this concerning generally raising the stature of reliable Judaism in the Holy Land, with Hashem’s help.

Regarding “The Nir” periodical, I repeat what I have said – we should battle evil specifically from the top of the highest peak of knowledge. We must not give up on this principle, as it will produce new “warriors” from among the most outstanding Torah scholars of the Holy Land, through whom the Name of Hashem and the name of Israel and Eretz Yisrael can be sanctified. This in turn is the most elevated benefit of all our actions in the Holy Land.

The only thing to add is that in order for the paper to have broad appeal, I think that in the future we should include popular items. However, we should not, Heaven forbid, create a publication that is primarily along the lines of “The Peles” (a more populistic and anti-Zionist monthly magazine). That would not have any true value, but rather would just fleetingly arouse the hearts in a way that would create animosity and agitation, not light, calmness, and love of service on behalf of Hashem, His nation, and His lot.

Of course, in order to expand The Nir, we will need proper material support. It will be worthwhile to work on this, as it will be a “good result for the community,” elevating the community from its low way in thinking and in standing. When people will realize that we care to raise their knowledge and standing, then with Hashem’s grace, we will raise the number of subscribers.

I would be very happy if we could put together a daily newspaper or one that is published at least twice a week. I, of course, would be willing to work toward that, bli neder, to the extent that my feeble abilities would accomplish. However, about the prospect of my being the editor-in-chief, I doubt that would work out with my difficult schedule of responsibilities. Also, in order to accomplish this, the office would have to be here (in Yafo), and I do not know if our brethren could agree on that.

When I know from you, my respected friend, that the matter is ready to be put into motion, I plan to suggest a program of actions, to the best of my limited ability. I hope that you and I can together sanctify His name; may Hashem’s “desire” succeed.

P.S. I also think we should work hard to found schools of the Sha’arei Torah organization [in the New Yishuv]. Although it needs to be improved, still, based on its founding goals, there is a basis to get to developments that sanctify Hashem.

No comments: